Freaky Brit names. was RE: [thechat] Celtic vs Chelsea at Seattle en Espanol

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 16:05:01 CDT 2004

--- John Handelaar <john at userfrenzy.com> wrote:

> I'm loving this.  To us this post looks a bit daft,
> but
> that's not your fault :-)  And in any case this is
> the UK's
> primary job vis a vis norteamericanos - confusing
> the crap out of you by being obtuse...

Well, y'all are doing a fine job!

> >       Manchester United Red Devils
>
> Nobody but the universally-reviled Man U fans ever
> call them anything but 'Man U' or Manchester
United..

You mean to say that I almost bought a flag and scarf
that would have left me universally-reviled? How cool
is that?!!  Or maybe I should take a closer look at
the Blackburn Rovers.

Hmmm, 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire, and though
the holes were rather small, they had to count them
all.

> Londoner that I am, I can bore you to tears with
> stories about
> Milwall moving south of the river, Arsenal packing
> up and shifting
> themselves to the other end of the borough, etc,
> making their
> geographic names more or less meaningless.  Kinda
> like the Oakland Raiders I suppose...

Ah! Now it makes some sense. Like the Utah Jazz
started
out in New Orleans but kept the name when they moved
Salt Lake City. Now if I can just find some broadcasts
in English!!

Terry