Freaky Brit names. was RE: [thechat] Celtic vs Chelsea at Seattle enEspanol

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sun Aug 8 03:37:34 CDT 2004

>>       Manchester United Red Devils
>
>Nobody but the universally-reviled Man U fans ever call them anything
but 'Man U' or Manchester United..

Or more commonly "Man-ure"

>... and don't even get us started on Wimbledon FC, who appear not only
to be leaving Wimbledon,
>but shipping out to Milton bloody Keynes *and* changing their name to
the lame-ass 'Milton Keynes Dons'
>in the process.  And no, that's not a mafia reference.

Unfortunately I can't find the original OSM article on the Don's and
Wimbledon AFC but here's quite a nice one:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,6903,755078,00.html

>I can't be bothered with football.

Very sensible.  The Tri-nations is looking nice and open this year, the
ZPL is about to kick off, we've the Autumn Internationals to look
forward to (where hopefully we'll put on a better display then the Tour
Of Hell 2) and of course the 6N (the one wedding gift that I'm really
looking forward to is the tickets to Eng vs Ire @ Landsdown). Ah the
joys of egg-chasing :D