[thechat] Speed limits in USA

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Wed Aug 11 06:39:37 CDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 4:14 AM, Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 13:59 11/08/2004, Martin Burns wrote:
>> Yes it is:
>> http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_facts/state_laws/speed_limit_laws.htm
>>
>> He must be from a state with a 65 limit and should get out more ;-)
>
> Still... 75 ain't too much of an improvement.

That chart isn't exactly accurate.
The speed limit out in west Texas, and heading up toward Lubbock and
Amarillo is 80 - but I don't think I saw anything less than 90, unless
I was slowing down for an off-ramp.  It's pretty sparse out there. If
you crash, chances are you're only going to take yourself out of the
gene pool.

Montana has (or had) a 'suggested' limit of 85, but the law was really
about what is unsafe. Dead flat, nobody around, warm and dry and sunny?
Hell - sounds like 150 to me. Montana is fairly empty - just big
country. You'd probably get stopped for 150, but I know folks who've
gotten away with 130 there. Of course, I've gotten away with nearly
that in Vermont - which is a little different than Montana.

bob