[thechat] ripped from the headlines - a speedy news storyforMadhu

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Thu Aug 12 11:06:43 CDT 2004

Rachel Lam noted folks other than RonL. at excessive speed in Minnesota:

See! I'm not the only one breaking the century mark in Minny-soter!

;-)

Other Notes:

* In the US, back in the late '70s, _some_ police radar guns would read
up to 128 MHP ... and then go back to a reading of "00" above that.

(This info courtesy of a punk kid I used to work with who ran +2s on
an old Camaro convertible. [He ran the +2s so he wouldn't have to slow
down for the railroad tracks he had to cross on the way to work every
day.] He zeroed out a radar gun zooming down a Cleveland freeway one
sunny summer day. He saw the cop ... and thought about running ... but
he pulled over and waited instead.  Didn't actually get a ticket - but
he said the cop was purple in the face and shaking while screaming at
him for a very long time.)  YMMV!

* In a similar timeframe, (circa 1980), the German embassador to the
US in Washington D.C. owned and drove a very fast, rare, and beautiful
BMW M1:
http://www.bmwworld.com/models/vintage/m1.htm

(I have a 35mm slide I took of it sitting along a curb in Georgetown.
Very pretty!)

My understanding is that, even with diplomatic immunity, the city would
'speak' to him from time to time about terrorizing folks on the Beltway
in his little racecar. (Yeah, I'll bet _that_ was fun. Ha!)

<threadjack>
I would suggest that 'speed' is a relative phenomenon ... and I would
dearly love to try both of the following (multiple times) to test my
hypothesis ...

I would bet that horsing a Mini-Cooper or Miata-spec racer around a
twisty little road course, (Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, Elkhart Lake, etc),
at 70-ish would be a lot more fun than taking an old Formula Ford or
Lola around a superspeedway at 140.

I don't think you need the big numbers to have the big fun.
</threadjack>

RonL.
(Who actually agrees with Bri's excellent counterpoint from the other day
... this kind of speed belongs on the track and not on public highways
... there are too many obstacles, poor surface conditions, and children
to go this fast and be safe on the street.

However, I will 'quibble' a bit and note that you accelerate "through"
the turn rather than "into" it ... you can get into a lot of trouble
lifting throttle mid-corner!)