[thechat] Help and resources for elder care

Tara Cleveland evolt at taracleveland.com
Thu Aug 12 11:37:30 CDT 2004

Hey all,

So, it turns out that my dad's parents are moving to Toronto in the
next few weeks into a nursing home (sorry that's not PC is it?
Long-term care facility then). One with end-stage alzheimer's. They are
both quite elderly. Also, in the next few years there is a strong
possibility that my mum's mum will be living with my parents for half
of the year (and living in Spain the other half - lucky woman!).

I haven't had much experience with older people but I'm making a
commitment to help out and especially to support my parents in whatever
way I can. So, since I've never done anything like this before, and
since I don't really know what older people are interested in, how to
care for older people, and I know nothing about alzheimer's... well I
was hoping that some of you might be able to suggest resources.

Now, I know I could have googled, but there's a lot of crap to wade
through when looking for info on elder care. Do any of you have
experiences to share, know about organizations that are helpful, read
books that were illuminating or found web sites that were invaluable?

TIA for all your helpful suggestions,
Tara

--
Tara Cleveland