[thechat] ripped from the headlines - a speedy news storyforMadhu

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Aug 12 16:01:29 CDT 2004

> >>My '59 Renault Dauphine was sheer terror at 55.
>

> Good grief, Joel!  You actually had one of those?!?

Built it from scratch. Sort of.

My brother was going to 'fix' something. Tore the engine down, tossing
pieces over his shoulder. When the back yard was covered, he gave up.

So, my very first car, I found all the bits, cleaned 'em up, and rebuilt
the engine. Literally.

Drove it for quite a while 'til it burned a piston. It had wet sleeves,
so I pulled a piston/cylinder out of the spare engine, slipped it up
through the bottom of the block, and drove it some more. You could do
that in about an hour; didn't even need to pull the head, just drop the
oil pan and you had access to all the guts.

Well, maybe 'guts' is the wrong word, seein' as how it couldn't make it
up some of the hills in San Diego . . .

joel