[thechat] Traffic Light Cameras

deacon web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Aug 17 09:44:24 CDT 2004

On 17 Aug 2004 at 13:01, Martin Burns wrote:
> > Now, when I go to Honda's webpage and look
> >at the data of a Civic, which is a car of roughly the same weight, I see
> >that the 1.6 model uses 5.5 liters of gas per 100 km driven and that the
> >emissions are 154 g/km (!!).

> The Prius has a 1.5l petrol engine, so compared with a 1.6 of the similar weight,
> it's already ahead. Now compare it with a car of similar performance: a 2l car.

> >The Toyota Prius only has a third less emissions when compared to a car
> >that has approximately its own weight.

> Not insignificant, and lower emissions do very nice things to your road tax and (in my
> case) company car tax.

The US DOE Technology Snapshot on the Prius compares it to the
Corolla LE.

The Corolla LE has 88 cubic feet per passenger, versus 89 for the
Prius, and each has 12 cubic feet for luggage. The Corolla does 0-60
in 11.41 seconds, the Prius in 12.69.

But you're talking $24,000 for a Prius, and $4,000 to replace the
batteries which is gonna take $4,000 off the value as a used car with
150,000 miles, versus $14,000 for a Corolla.

Over the course of 150,000 miles, a Corolla is going to use 5,000
gallons of gas, and a Prius is going to use 3,000 gallons of gas.
Seems to me like gas would have to hit $7 a gallon for you to break
even on that Prius - and that isn't counting the extra money you would
spend to finance and insure the Prius.

Not that it really affects me. I paid cash for my last purchase - a
comfortable used Dodge Caravan. I walk to work in my skivvies, and
here in farm country, the air is breathable. I only drive about 5,000
miles a year, so 12 MPG will probably be affordable until 2020 when I
will reach 150,000 miles.

--
http://paulding.net   Useful utilities
http://pdhomes.net  Webhomes