[thechat] Re: Chile's tennis fighting for the medals

Martin Burns yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 05:00:57 CDT 2004

On Sat, August 21, 2004 4:46 pm, Dave Fitch said:
> On 11:59 am +0100 javier velasco wrote:
>
>>I've noticed that there hasn't been any olympic talk 'round here, at
>>least not lately.
>
> Ok: do you think the BBC's commentator's have been taking lessons on
> partisanship from NBC?? They are absolutely driving me spare, the
> idiot doing the rowing today would have been more use if he'd been in
> the water...

Dave

You've not been paying attention then - the BBC has *always* been partisan in their
sports coverage. I'm actually pretty OK about that, except that they behave more like
the English Broadcasting Corporation - victorious Scots are usually described as
"British", while victorious English competitors are usually described as "English".
Conversely, losing English competitors are described as "British" (see also "British"
football fans).

Cheers
Martin

--
"Names, once they are in common use, quickly  | Spammers: Send me email to
 become mere sounds, their etymology being    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk <-