[thechat] traveling to Ireland

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Aug 23 17:27:27 CDT 2004

> If you or your spouse have an Irish parent or grandparent, you're in
> like Flynn. Except said person should apply for his/her Irish passport
> ASAP, because that regulation looks as though it may change shortly.

Sadly, no. It also used to apply to having a child born there, I think,
but that's changing, and we're not producing our second for another 18
months so we'll miss that wire.

> > Also, instead of paying 1000 to 1500 pounds a *week* for a
> > cottage by the sea, we can do it for about 500 a *month* in
> > the winter.
>
> Where are you thinking of, area-wise? Just curious; the isolation of
> some areas of Ireland would drive me BATTY. I like small cities like
> Kilkenny, which is beautiful, cultural, and more liberal and accepting
> than many areas of Ireland outside of Dublin.

Essentially, we'll live almost anywhere, but we'd prefer something rural
in the gaeltacht. We're very self-sufficient, and wouldn't mind at all
being isolated. Except for your point below.

> Also, if you're scouting areas to live in, you might want to
> *seriously*
> consider broadband availability, because without it, your
> phone bill can
> very easily top £500 a month. (Or the equivalent in euros,
> which is the
> currency in Ireland now.)

Yeah. Indeed. I imagine I could live without broadband, but not sure I'd
*choose* to. Good advice, Bri.

> > Perhaps we'll bump into some o' y'all - Europe's a small
> place, right?
>
> Yup :) And airfare for short-haul flights in the winter is
> dead cheap as
> well. You'll have to come to a London Beervolt :)

Absobloominlutely! My Best Beloved and Their Imperial Majesties wouldn't
consider the trip complete without *both* London and something evoltish.

joel