[thechat] american table manners -- fork in right or left..?

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Aug 25 04:57:01 CDT 2004

At 15:11 25/08/2004, Norman Beresford wrote:
>I seem to recall that if you're using a single piece of cutlery you use
>your left hand, however if you're using a pair (ie knife and fork) you
>have the fork in your right hand.

I do it exactly the other way around. :)

Ain't that European style?

Ashok wrote:

>WIth the fork
>in her left hand, she
>was about to raise it to her mouth -- when he slapped her hand.  "Not like
>that....
>transfer the fork to your right hand...!"

Americans like him give the rest of them a bad name.

>"I dont know....In the States we always eat it like this...," was his
>answer....

Uh huh. Default setting for the rest of the world, then.
Wonder if he'll freak out that we Indians use our fingers for Indian food.

I suggest you don't drive him around then. He might slap your wrist while
driving saying, "Drive on the right side of the road." Could be dangerous. :(

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Shiok Far-eastern Cuisine
Indiranagar, Bangalore