[thechat] Weird-ass FTP problem

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Sun Aug 29 02:52:08 CDT 2004

On 28/08/2004 10:36 AM +0200 s t e f wrote:
> I've never done that, though. But you know what I mean, gzipping content
> or something before sending it to the browser (I read through some
> comments about it a long time ago). Hosting providers use it to reduce
> bandwith.

Lachlan's right.. it wouldn't be gzip, as that's lossless.

But if could be something like http://www.turboiis.com/ (or similar) which,
among other things, dynamically downsamples JPEG images to reduce the
bandwidth used, simultaneously making all your perfectly-tuned, already
size-reduced-as-far-as-they-can-be-without-looking-crap look, uh... crap.
I've encountered this before.

Contact your hosting provider and ask them to turn it off.

If they can't, or won't, then you're dealing with a hosting provider that
thinks it's acceptable to screw with your images in order to save a few
bucks a month. Ditch 'em with extreme prejudice.

Paul