[thechat] cameras

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 28 17:05:31 CDT 2004

Martin Burns wrote:
> Ah, it's all about the lens... Manufacturing quality consumer CCDs is
> pretty much a commodity business, but the lens is a different story.
>
> (which is one of the big reasons why I tote an SLR btw)
>
>>some manual controls,
>>good automatic pictures (for when I'm lazy) costing < US$400.
>
> Sony Cybershot with a Carl Zeiss lens?
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html

  We have a Sony W1 that I am trying to figure out. The only issue
that has come up is shaky photos. I haven't figured out all the
icon type controls (RTFM, right...), but I have taken some really
nice photos with the W1 along with some very shaky shots.
  I really like the camera. It is very light, small, and fast. My
old Kodak took forever to shoot and sucked up batteries.
  The issue seems to be that you need to use manual focus much more
than the auto focus. Most of the shaky shots are wide angle shots
of groups of people. At my uncle's 90th birthday party, I held the
camera above my head and took a number of shots from different
places. All of them were mush, completely fuzzy. I haven't had
time to put into researching and testing yet. So far, I would
buy it again.

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.