[thechat] Bill Shatner's voice

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Oct 4 20:37:49 CDT 2004

> In the 60s, he sounds like he was on helium. Now, he's got
> that deep voice
> going.
>
> So what changed? Did he get surgery? Was sound technology bad
> in the 60s?
> Did he just take vocal lessons?

Same thing happened to me. My vocal range used to match Johnny Nash ("I
Can See Clearly" - note for note, no problem.) Now, it's nearly an
octave lower. Just sort of happened over the last two years (+/-42 to my
current 44.7 years)

I chalk it up to a combination of stress reduction extraordinaire, and
just plain getting older.

Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, in the same time period, has gone from
blues screecher to mellifluous baritone.

joel