[thechat] Bill Shatner's voice

Elfur Logadóttir elfur at elfur.is
Mon Oct 4 20:35:23 CDT 2004

.:| From: Madhu Menon
.:|
.:| there's a BIG difference between the voice of William
.:| Shatner (Capt. Kirk) in the
.:| 1960s and his current voice (or even in the ST movies.)
.:|
.:| In the 60s, he sounds like he was on helium. Now, he's got
.:| that deep voice going.
.:|
.:| So what changed? Did he get surgery? Was sound technology
.:| bad in the 60s?
.:| Did he just take vocal lessons?

I think it's a combination of a few things.
First, yes the sound technology was a lot worse.
Second, yes with time - and practice - you can have much better control over
your voice.
But Third, and I think this is the main point, most men go through this.
Their voice is deeper at the age of 60 than it was at the age of 30. I could
name numerous examples, but they are all local so there's no real point in
mentioning them.

Cheers
Elfur