[thechat] Bailing out...

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 15:07:48 CDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004, at 16:42, Scott Dexter wrote:

>> Groove Armada: Dirty Listening
>> The Orb: Little Fluffy Clouds
>
> both of these are consistent friends, along with Massive Attack,
> Kruder&Dorfmeister ("The K&D Sessions" is a must-own. You may be
> surprised how much you recognize), DJ Food (and really, anything from
> Ninja Tune[1]) if I'm feeling a little funky;

Bugger, nothing on iTMS

However, I *did* find a couple of Gotan Project tracks Peter Kruder
mixed, one of which was on an album ("Inspiració - Esperación" - it's
got some cool Tango on it that I know Bob would like) that had this
cool, mellow jazz standard on it:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?
playlistId=26083219&selectedItemId=26083190
(Round Midnight for those not iTunes-blessed)
UKP0.79 well spent!

> Supreme Beings of Leisure is a little more pop, but not bad

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?
playlistId=2602518

Sounds like a lot of stuff that used to play on the old Secret Agent
shoutcast station. And still does I note!
http://somafm.com/secretagent.pls
iTunes is *now* playing Downtempo Lounge Spy music from "Secret Agent:
The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. For Spys
and P.I.'s too! [SomaFM]"

>> Songs in a language you don't understand are *very* useful for
>> this. In
>
> +1 ... I try to stay away from lyrics altogether, else I find myself
> paying attention to the song more than the work [shrug]

The trouble with having studied music so much is that I'm like that
with *all* music ;-)

>>> Looking for more ambient sounds? Tangerine Dream. IBox, discs 1
>
> Tangerine Dream has been around since, what, 1930?

*grin* I 1st heard them when I was a teenager with the Firestarter
soundtrack.

Cheers
Martin
- --
Playing on iTunes when I started this post: "Venus In Tweeds" by
Shooglenifty from 'Venus In Tweeds' - a hit from way back in 1994