[thechat] cooking stuffing in a turkey?

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 19:08:41 CST 2004

Sean German wrote:
> Any tips on cooking stuffing in a turkey?  (Other than don't do it)
>
> I've got my turkey technique pretty solid, and it involves an empty bird
> except for a couple veggies for flavor.  I've always taken to the
> admonishment that a stuffed turkey takes so long to cook through to the
> center the outside ends up over done.

  I've cooked turkeys with and without stuffing. Sweat the onions,
carrots, and celery in a pan before using in the stuffing mixture,
wash the inside of the bird well, then stuff somewhat loosely.
Don't pound it in or it will take some additional time. Use a
thermometer to test the heat if you are really concerned
about thorough cooking.
  If you want to assure total cooking without drying out the white
meat, cover the bird for the first 2/3rds of the cooking time, then
remove the foil and let it brown. Baste if necessary.
--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.