[thechat] Meanwhile, in Edinburgh...

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Dec 9 04:32:15 CST 2004

John Handelaar wrote:
> [genghis sabrina bondage [1] snippage]

(with apologies to Michael Herr ...)

Embra.  Shit.  I'm still only in Embra.  Every time I think I'm going to
wake up back in Glesga.  When I was home after my first wedding-of-friends,
it was worse.  I'd wake up and there'd be the latest Steps single ... I
hardly said a word to the DJ until I said yes to an ABBA medley.  When I was
here I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was
getting DJ gear installed on the laptop.  I've been here a week now.
Waiting for a playlist, getting softer.  Every minute I stay in this room, I
get weaker.  And every minute the dancefloor stays empty, the crowd gets
stronger.  Each time I look around the headphones move in a little tighter ...

Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a playlist, and for my sins they
gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service.

It was a real choice playlist, and when it was over, I'd never want another.

I was going to the worst seat at the table, and I didn't even know it yet.
Weeks away and hundreds of tracks up a playlist that snaked through the hall
like a main circuit cable, plugged straight into John.  It was no accident
that I got to be the caretaker of John Handelaar's playlist, any more than
being back in Embra was an accident.  There is no way to play his playlist
without playing my own.  And if his playlist is really a confession ... then
so is mine.

John, Sabrina, I am truly honoured to be the one who played the soundtrack
to your first dance together as husband and wife.  May the road rise up tae
meet you!  I'm now wondering how debauched us lot should get for your first
anniversary - whether we're invited along or not :>

[1] no, not *that* kind of bondage!

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | "There's something about records which is
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |  really satisfying."

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison, nplusone or lightershade ltd.
presence of viruses.  Lumison, nplusone and lightershade ltd accepts no

Virus scanned by Lumison.