[thechat] Tsunami toll: 52000

Madhu Menon chef at shiokfood.com
Wed Jan 5 10:42:27 CST 2005

(I didn't get William's message to thechat. Did the server burp?)

>William Anderson noted:
>
> >>You (the proverbial "you", of course) didn't install a tsunami detection
> >>system as was done by countries with coasts on the Pacific

William, you are technically correct and I don't disagree with you. I wrote
the same thing myself. See
http://www.madmanweb.com/archives/0412the_earthquake.html

However, your message did seem devoid of compassion and as Ron said, it
came cross as "cold". To those of us whose fellow countrymen have died by
the thousands, it hits a little harder than you might expect.

For the record, we've never had a tsunami in these parts in known history,
so an expensive monitoring system (about $27 million cost) probably didn't
seem worth the investment. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Regards,

Madhu
(who's currently witnessing a tsunami on his site after being mentioned on
www.Instapundit.com )

PS: I've got a nice orange-lemon chicken recipe on my chef blog that you
folks might enjoy.

Madhu Menon
Shiok Far-eastern Cuisine
Indiranagar, Bangalore