[thechat] Tsunami toll: 52000

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Jan 5 11:22:23 CST 2005

Madhu Menon wrote:
> (I didn't get William's message to thechat. Did the server burp?)

possibly - I and others clearly got it, so ymmv on that one.

>> William Anderson noted:

>> detection
>
> William, you are technically correct and I don't disagree with you. I
> wrote the same thing myself. See
> http://www.madmanweb.com/archives/0412the_earthquake.html
>
> However, your message did seem devoid of compassion and as Ron said, it
> came cross as "cold". To those of us whose fellow countrymen have died
> by the thousands, it hits a little harder than you might expect.

Of course I don't think in any way that anyone *deserved* what happened to
them, be it death, injury, loss of home / possessions / loved ones, etc. -
but if we pussyfoot around these things, they won't get said.

Judah's right - anyone in or near an affected area who survived should have
some strong words for their government officials, especially the elected ones.

> For the record, we've never had a tsunami in these parts in known
> history, so an expensive monitoring system (about $27 million cost)
> probably didn't seem worth the investment. Hindsight is always 20-20.

It needn't cost so much - see Bob Cringely's take on it:

> PS: I've got a nice orange-lemon chicken recipe on my chef blog that you
> folks might enjoy.

yum :)

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | "There's something about records which is
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |  really satisfying."

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison, nplusone or lightershade ltd.
presence of viruses.  Lumison, nplusone and lightershade ltd accepts no

Virus scanned by Lumison.