[thechat] outburst

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 16:39:50 CST 2005

On 19 Jan 2005, at 20:06, deacon wrote:

> When a neighbor calls the cops on a domestic dispute, two times out
> of three, the cops find a woman attacking a man.

...aaaaand you have reputable, citable sources for this, right, to
elevate it above soundbite hearsay?

>> Well, it could be because there is a history of *very* strong
>> discrimination in the fields of science and engineering.
>
> I can testify to that. When I was in Chemical Engineering at UD, there
> were six fellas and one womanl. She not only got the *highest* offer,
> but she got seventeen of them; the six guys combined had eleven
> offers. The previous year, there were seven men and one woman. The
> highest offer that year went to a woman, too.

Of course we all know that anecdotes are sound statistically robust
proof.

But as they're not, I'm going to join in the make it up to suit my
point game and suggest that the structural barriers ensured that the
one woman who made it that far was of a quality to make those offers
entirely justifiable.

If you're going to come back and say "not in this case" then i'll point
you to the the 'anecdotal evidence' clause above.

> But men are taught at their mother's knees that their only reason to
> exist is to support and serve.

I think you'll find that the women's movement would have something
identical to say about girls.

> and
> as he grows up he learns that it's not proper to hit back when girls
> hit
> him.

Actually, in our house, our sons are taught that it's not proper to hit
back when *anyone* hits them. If we had daughters, t'would tbe the
same.

> As as adult, he learns that "if you play, you pay" - but only if you're
> male; females get a tax-free income stream for 18 years if the joy of
> sex turns fruitful.

The decline in which I think you can place firmly at the door of the
women's movement, who might also have something to say about decades of
unpaid domestic labour.

Cheers
Martin

- --