[thechat] Win FAT Repair Utility?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri Jan 21 15:12:37 CST 2005

chris hardy asked:

>>Did you fdisk it before reinstalling windows?

Hi Chris,

I think my wife is planning to fdisk the laptop before I get home this
evening. I think we're both pretty convinced that should be our next step.

[My gut feeling is that we'll end up 'low leveling' the drive, crossing
our fingers that this repairs the FAT, (I think it should), followed by
a full reinstall. Total loss of data - but oh well.]

>>I seem to recall that the ME emergency disk has scandisk on it. If so, you
>>could boot from that disk and at the command prompt type scandisk - it'll
>>check the FAT and might even fix it.

Good memory! ... Yup - scandisk is there. Unfortunately it just 'reports'
FAT problems ... unless there is some "/fix_it_TOO" argument you can add
to the command that I don't know about, I don't think it provides any help
in actually repairing the FAT.

RonL.