[thechat] Win FAT Repair Utility?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri Jan 21 16:36:01 CST 2005

Judah McAuley chimed in:

>>Two quick things come to mind:
>>fdisk /mbr  ... that writes a new master boot record and can fix file
>>allocation problems. It is non-destructive (unless you have a boot
>>sector virus).

Hi Judah!

Pretty close ... I think I read earlier today that you can't have a space
in that command.

<shocking confession>
I don't 'fdisk' often.

I KNOW! You wouldn't think it to look at me ... but it's true.

So I 'cheated' and surfed around for some instructions ... the ones I ended
up stealing were pretty emphatic about not including any spaces in that
command.
<20 Hail Mary's and I'm outta here! />

>>Look for an old copy of Norton Disk Doctor.

Oh wow! ... ;-) ... Cool! ... You got me good, dude ... I had
*completely* forgotten about that!  You are right!  That was a
pretty good utility.

(Dang! I wouldn't have guessed you were old enough to 'member that!)

Good call!

(There ain't no way I'm gonna find a copy - but yeah - an excellent
recommendation anyway!)

Thanks!

RonL.