[thechat] Alternative to English ivy?

Tara Cleveland evolt at taracleveland.com
Tue Apr 19 14:48:49 CDT 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 1:18 PM, Sean German wrote:
> Reaching out to all the green thumbs out there, I'm looking for some
> low-maintenance ground cover and like the look of English ivy (hedera
> helix).  I don't like how aggressively it will spread and potentially
> threaten trees in the area.

Sean,

You could try vinca, although it's fairly aggressive, but I've never
seen it threaten trees before. Works fine up here in Toronto, so should
be hardy enough for Boston. Good for shady areas under trees or
semi-shaded areas. Don't think it'll work so well if you've got tons of
sun and dry conditions.

http://hortwww-2.ag.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TMI/Plantlist/vi_minor.html

HTH,
Tara