[thechat] Pet Hate

Martin Burns martin at uckwa.org
Fri May 27 03:18:58 CDT 2005

On 24 May 2005, at 13:37, Drew Shiel wrote:

>   I have an aunt who favours the direct approach to such things.
> Confronted with the "Irish no" ("Ah, I'm alright, thanks") - which
> means "Yes", or any similar dodging the question, she takes what
> someone says exactly at face value. The rest of the family have
> learned to adjust, and I'm sure your visitors will too.

Aye, then there's the "2 refusals" rule where you allow yourself to
be persuaded:

"Cup of tea?"
"Oh, no, I'm fine"
"Are you sure?"
"No, I'm alright, thanks"
"It's really no bother"
"Oh, OK then"
which is a bugger if the offering party gives up too early.

In Ireland, this is known as the Mrs Doyle rule...

Btw, coffee for me please if there's been beans involved in the
recent history. Wee drop milk, no sugar.

Cheers
Martin