[thechat] mp3 player recommendations

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Mon Sep 19 10:11:49 CDT 2005

Finally looking for an MP3 player. Primary use would be my car, which
has a cassette player, no CD. Sound quality, particlarly NOT SKIPPING
WHILE I'M SLAMMING THROUGH POTHOLES but including broad frequency
response, is important. Though I have a Linux box and a Mac, PCs are my
primary platform.

If it records voice memos, that's cool, but not required. Also, if it
could store my entire collection of MP3s that I can't live without no
matter where I am (22GB and growing) so I can play them on any of my
PCs, with headphones should I ever accidentally walk somewhere, or in
the car, that would be spiffy, but not required. Quality over quantity.

Finally, despite my audiophile tendencies, I'm on a severely restricted
budget and this is way deep in luxury-land, but it's a luxury Best
Beloved understands. So, price is *a* consideration, but not the first.

Any recommendations, for or against? What else should I be thinking
about? If I go cheap just to get one, hoping to upgrade when my ship
comes in, will I be sorry I did, or glad to have *something* instead of
nothing? And finally, what about Naomi?

thanks

joel