[thechat] Rita...

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 17:19:39 CDT 2005

Bob Davis wrote:
> We're pretty far inland. Still, we're expecting rain and some pretty
> good wind - nothing compared to what Houston should get though.

  We are 150 miles from the coast in North Carolina. Hurricane Fran
came directly over us and hammered the entire area. I was out of
electricity for over a week and out of work for some time since
the storm wiped out the big high voltage lines from the source.
  A cat 3 storm can still remain a cat 1 for more than 100 miles
inland. The storm surge doesn't go far, but the wind and rain
goes a long way. The speed of the storm also plays a part.
  Hugo entered in Charleston, South Carolina and my folks near
the mountains in North Carolina (northwest of Charlotte) got
hammered and that is probably 250 miles inland. There were gusts
of over 90 mph in Charlotte which is about 200 miles inland from
Charleston.
  My advice to anyone along the path of a category 3 or 4 storm
within 250 miles of a category 3 or 4 storm is to run. I never
want to hear that deep moan of the wind again.
  Y'all take care, Roger
--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.