[thechat] Swiss visa problems

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 02:39:51 CDT 2005

On 30 Sep 2005, at 08:09, William Anderson wrote:

> Sounds like standard "do you have means to stay in our country so you
> won't try and sponge off the state" policy to me.  Interesting that
> they
> want to make sure the person you're staying with can do the same.

Yes.

> Probably a reaction to a large influx of Balkan asylum seekers in
> the 1990s.

No, they're Just Like That in .ch. They're *very* happy to have
people coming in and staying, even for long periods of time, as long
as there is *no* possibility of you being anything but a net economic
gain to the country.

Think *this* is harsh - wait till you start talking about the
citizenship rules...

Cheers
Martin