[thechat] Swiss visa problems

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Sep 30 10:21:48 CDT 2005

Martin Burns noted:

>>For what it's worth, when I was working in .ch last year, I
>>had to register with the police and the municipality offices
>>too and tell them exactly where I was staying.

Interesting!

Hmmmmm ... Perhaps they have a 'length of stay' variable triggering
different levels of regulations?  Or maybe designating 'work' versus
'pleasure' triggers additional restrictions?

I spent 3 or 4 days siteseeing around Interlocken back in the late 80's.
(The ice sculptures on Jungfraujoch were in this 'weird things to do and
see in Europe' book I had at the time.  Lotta neat stuff in there.)  I'm
pretty sure I didn't have to provide any personal information,
(financial or otherwise), for that trip.

>>But the Swiss friend should *know* this, and will be used to it.
>>That's *exactly* how .ch works - there are regulations covering
>>*everything*, both written and unwritten.

"Locals" rule!   ;-)

RonL.