[thechat] Cadfael

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 15:08:47 CST 2005

One evening within the last 10 years or so I was
channel surfing
and came across a show featuring Derek Jacobi as a
crime-solving
Benedictine monk in what appeared to be a medieval
setting. I
watched about 15 minutes of it and was fascinated,
enthralled
even. Then I was called away.

Me: "Can't you just stand in the bathtub and bleed
there? Do we
have to go the hospital NOW?!?!?"

I don't really remember what it was that made me turn
off the tv,
but I hadn't heard the name of the show and I have
never again
stumbled onto it on TV. But then last Friday I was a
Border's
Bookstore looking at boxed DVD sets and wondering
which one to get
my wife for Christmas.*

Roswell Season 2 or 3?
Angel - any season?
Monk - any season?
Stargate SG-1 Season 8?
Atlantis Season 1?
X-Files any season?

While I was thus occupied I saw "Cadfael" with a
picture of
Derek J on it and knew IMMEDIATELY that this was the
show I'd
been looking for and wondering about for years. (Only
today did
it occur to me that I could have checked imdb.com at
any point
in the past years and found the answer.)

So, now that the question "What was that show" has
been answered,
the question becomes "Which season to buy?" I found
some info
online but thought I'd see if any of you have guidance
for a
long-time wannabe Cadfael fan.

Is any one series or episode considered to be
significantly
better than the others? Given the four choices below,
which one would you buy?

1st Series 1994
# "One Corpse Too Many"
# "The Sanctuary Sparrow"
# "The Leper of St Giles"
# "Monk's Hood"

2nd Series 1996
# "The Virgin in the Ice"
# "The Devil's Novice"
# "A Morbid Taste for Bones"

#
3rd Series 1997
# "The Rose Rent"
"St Peter's Fair"
"The Raven in the Foregate"

#
4th Series 1998
# "The Holy Thief"
"The Potter's Field"
"The Pilgrim of Hate"

On the subject of "What was that show?" there's
another one I
haven't found via google. It was several years ago,
probably
within the last 10 years. It was ER meets DS9. A
hospital drama
where the hospital was on a space station. Saw maybe
one or two
episodes. It seems to have died a quicker death than
Firefly.
Can't remember what the show was called or anybody who
was on it. It was a brilliant idea and I recall
thinking it was well done. \
Did any of you see it?

Terry

* I settled on LOST Season 1