[thechat] ice cream songs

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Jan 10 10:09:41 CST 2006

> Maybe try a less generic search?  I just ran "C A minor F G
> progression"
>
> through google and came back with 'Surfer Girl', 'In My Room', and
> 'Don't Worry Baby' among some other interesting looking links.

Hmmm. Perhaps.

> Hadn't heard it called "ice cream". Is that because you are
> planning a
> 'Neapolitan 6th'?  Yummy!  ;-P

Only explanation I've heard is 'cause it sounds so sweet. Dunno.

> [Wikipedia (FWIW) seems to show the 'ice cream' change as 1-6-2-5-1.]

Different pattern, obviously. Also pretty common, but doesn't have the
same rolling sway the 1-6-4-5 has. Beatles used the 1-6-2-5 often
enough, as did Roy Orbison. Makes for a nice bridge in a 1-4-5. Going to
the '5 of 5' (the 2) just doesn't have the same feeling of floating
suspension the 4 does; in my head, it seems more like it's pushing, and
what I think of for the 'ice cream' is a dreamy floating sound.

> http://www.piperanddrummer.com/features/Default.asp?articleID=5177

Which includes the useful and interesting comment "It is very easy to
select your current favourite tune in each time signature and play them
in a specified order. You can be sure that it will never work
successfully as a medley."

> http://www.vh1.com/partners/vh1_music_studio/supplies/century/
> century-5.html

Wow. Someone is thinking way too hard. Not you, them.

Interesting, anyway. Still looking . . . maybe I'll just go home and
play it over and over 'til songs come into my head.

joel