[thechat] WhatThePlant?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Feb 9 12:12:10 CST 2006

You want what is known as a dichotomous key. Each step offers you two
choices and you refine from there. I didn't find any online dichotomous
key's for NorCal vascular plants online though, but it was a cursory
look. The gold-standard plant identification book for California is
called the Jepson Manual. It's available online at:
http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/interchange/I_treat_indexes.html but
unfortunatly, it isn't presented as a dichotomous key.

I'm not sure it would really do you any good though as indoor plants are
usually from a nursery and aren't really likely to be native to the
area. So you'd probably be better served by a generic plant
identification guide. The best looking one I've found so far is
Neoflora: http://www.neoflora.com/search.html

Hope that helps.

Judah