[thechat] Anti SPAM program

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 07:06:34 CST 2006

On 11/15/06, Hershel Robinson <hershel at galleryrobinson.com> wrote:
> >> If you  have Thunderbird, what's the problem? Are you using the
> >> trainable filter?
> >
> > Worse than useless, that.  I've been running it for
> > two years in different incarnations and I'm still
> > getting hundreds of things it fails to spot dumped
> > in my top-level Inbox daily.
>
> I am using Thunderbird for maybe a year, maybe less--I don't recall. I
> also get junk in my Inbox. I would guess that it catches maybe 70 or 80
> or 90%, but no more.

Weird. Do you train it both ways (marking some as spam and some as not
spam)? I set up rules for thelist and the like that would
automatically mark it as not spam, further training the filter. I get
an amazing amount of spam to mattwarden.com addresses (mainly because
it is a wildcard alias entry), and I would say that the catch rate was
well above 99%. Of course, I haven't been using it since the "picture
spam" with random text started gaining popularity. Not sure how well
it handles that...

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA