[thechat] new law on smoking over there?

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Dec 1 08:07:55 CST 2006

prompted by mb's spoolage: is this quote accurate, to your knowledge?

"Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said that
decision had been "draconian".

"From July next year it will not only be illegal to smoke in every pub,
club and bar in the country, it will also be impossible to set up a
private club run by smokers for smokers," he said. "

I'm all in favor of the ban in public places (been in place in
California for half of my life, making visits to Arizona really tough)

But, if folks want to set up a private club, is it likely the
legislation will really be applied to stopping that?

In the dry counties in Texas, the 'private club' is the happening thing.
Pay the membership fee, and now you're not 'buying alcohol' you're just
'drinking with friends.'

just curious

joel