[thechat] Its Awfuwwy Kwiet Awound Here

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Jan 20 10:16:42 CST 2007

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> William Anderson wrote:
>
>> How can you find football boring to watch?
>
> Uh, well, it's pretty easy, actually :-)
>
> Since you asked, my opinion of the appeal of American football is
> that it reflects significant aspects of business/corporate culture:
>
> 1) differentiation of groups within an organization -- offense,
>      defense, special teams, field goal
> 2) strict differentiation of roles within a group
> 3) critical time management -- both a game clock and play clock
> 4) project management by phase -- call a play, execute, evaluate
> 5) project management by milestone (first downs)
> 6) trickery and deceit (which are much easier to pull off when
>    everyone's physically close together at the line of scrimmage,
>    rather than spread thinly across a large field, I'll grant)
>
> Plus running into people, of course. :-)
>
> Very little of the above appears to be present in soccer. Pretty
> much all of the games I've seen appear to be an interpretive dance
> ode to Brownian motion...

Then you've never actually stopped to take the time to learn the game and
appreciate the subtleties of the sport.  American football to a layman must
seem just like ultra-violence orchestrated around one Jewish guy in the
middle with a dead pig in his hand.

Football is also about grouped roles, time and project management, and
trickery and deceit - the offside trap and diving are two good examples of
the latter :)  It's also so much more fluid than American football, with the
only serious delays caused by goals, injury, hassling the ref or unintended
violence :>

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      |  Tim: Your cheese game is strong.
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com | Zane: My cheese game. It's all about the