[thechat] Light Pipes (AND HEATING TOO)

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Mar 9 09:34:13 CST 2007

Luther, Ron wrote:
> Martin Burns enthused about underfloor heating:

> It's a very very neat idea, but are these underfloor heating boogers
> actually an affordable option for the average person yet?

Eichler (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Eichler>) homes in
Northern California had "radiant heat" floors using hot water pipes
embedded in the concrete slab. I can't imagine why it would have
added to the cost, compared to "standard" heating (no heater, no
ducting to install/maintain). Eichler houses were architecturally
stunning for the time, but still priced as middle-class tract homes.

I lived in one in Marin with my parents from 1959 to 1964. It was
really comfortable having a warm floor, though the tiles on the
floor tended to get soft, and furniture feet left permanent marks :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
                opinion: webtuitive.blogspot.com

                          dream.  code.