[thechat] I want a new job!

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon May 28 23:01:19 CDT 2007

On 29 May 2007, at 01:40, William Anderson wrote:

> Also you may find if your skillset matches a particular contract, you
> can go from application through interview(s) to job offer within 12
> hours.

Having just done a resourcing job for a project team of 90, including
a number of roles that went to contractors, yep, for sure. If you're
hiring contractors, it's either because:

1) You don't want the risk of taking a permie (they're a bugger to fire)
2) You can't *find* a permie/internal person, and you're now
screaming desperate for the skillset

> Contracting interviews IME rarely involve actual tests of skills
> as you're expected to be able to land running.

True, but expect some searching questions at interview.

> Perm interviews for tech
> roles, OTOH, often involve technical tests to make sure you're not
> bullshitting, hence don't bullshit and waste the time of the employer,
> or yourself

The reason for the contrast being as above - taking on a permie is a
bloody huge risk. Contractors: not so much.

Cheers
Martin
(ooh, we're in danger of being on-topic and going to thelist...)

 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website:
http://www.purpur.co.uk/announcing-purpur-associates