[thechat] Guitar Stuff

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 19:59:45 CST 2008

On 8 Mar 2008, at 00:46, Erika wrote:

> I am against teaching sight reading to beginning students, esp guitar
> players.  But that's me.  I'm a rocker.  I think using your
> ear/hands/heart should be first, read later (or never).  (Suzuki
> teaches
> you to hear before you read, too I think.)

It absolutely does. And it emphasises playing *together*. If you've
not read it, I thoroughly recommend the Suzuki book on the matter:
http://www.amazon.com/Nurtured-Love-Classic-Approach-Education/dp/0874875846/

And *every* good musician is a listener first and foremost. You get to
know the shape of a style, and then you can jam in any situation, to
any song/tune, whether or not you've heard it before, because you know
where it's going, and what you can do to take it there.

Cheers
Martin