[thechat] Guitar Stuff

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 12:24:02 CDT 2008

On 12 Mar 2008, at 15:24, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Martin Burns sayeth:
>
>>> Cue the drummer jokes...

See, when I was a teenager[1], I worked in a music shop of a Saturday.
And as anyone who's worked in a music shop knows, you've *got* to have
some way of keeping sane from all the feckers who come and twat about
with the axes. See Wayne's World for detail if you've not.

So we had a fine system, with a sliding scale, depending on what the
punter played. IIRC (this being the mid eighties), it was a pound for
Marillion's Kayleigh, £2 for She Sells Sanctuary, a fiver for anything
by the Police (£1 supplement for Every Breath You Take), and a full
tenner for Stairway.

But, because we weren't *entirely* heartless bastards, we had a
compensatory scheme: if you told us a music-related joke, and we
laughed, you got money back from the fine jar. Ah, but we were
*fairly* heartless bastards, so it was a point of principle *not* to
laugh. The only one I can ever remember paying out on was the following:

Q: What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A: A drummer.

Cheers
Martin

[1] I'm sure I've told y'all this before.