[thechat] Everett True!

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Wed Jun 4 14:01:27 CDT 2008

kissed & slagged us in our first review ever, hell yeah!

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/archives/2008/06/hugs_and_kisses_39.php

hurray!

Erika

------------------------------
Hugs and Kisses?
The Relocated Outbursts of Everett True

THIS WEEK: Portland, Oregon shenanigans

Wait a minute.

I want to write this week’s column about SERPENTONE. The cover to this
Portland trio’s album Spiraling (why don’t Americans learn to spell
properly?) features a woman playing guitar, hair flailing, head covered.
I was intrigued when it showed up yesterday, mainly cos it’s now the
only CD in my house and partly because it was sent by a lady who still
bothers with handwritten letters. The music is an engaging, slightly
naïve, take on the raw anger of Poison Girls, Babes In Toyland and yr
nightmare Sixth Form anti-frat band: all vaguely obvious lyrics about
vampire-ish, leeching boyfriends, Minivan Moms and S&M relationships,
yellow belt level. I say it feels oddly naïve, especially as it looks to
be dealing with the darker side of human relationships—but maybe that’s
cos you can understand the words. (Hey, tip for all those looking to
draw from Kat Bjelland’s still rigorously compelling exorcism: you can’t
fucking understand the words. That’s the whole point.) That’s all to the
good, though. The music is dirty, old school grunge, bluesy. Their
MySpace page claims the band has been described as “Willie Nelson meets
Nirvana” and “Neil Young meets the Dead Boys,” but frankly whomever
described it as such is most-ways deaf. It is nothing of the sort. It is
Portland OR rock music circa 1991, make no mistake. And yet Erika
Meyer’s voice is quite something else: she often reminds me of the
raw-throated polemic of Vi Subversa—especially in the lyrical
structure—and sometimes, when she really reaches into herself, as on the
blistering “Folding,” the unmatchable Thalia Zedek.

And then I noticed that all their photos had been taken by Rozz Rezabek,
and I’m like, “Whoa dude, serendipity” or something, cos Rozz and I
share quite a big something in our past, despite having never met (and
never being likely to), and it seems that our musical preferences still
collide a little in the present day
cos I’m really growing quite fond of
this CD, even if it does sometimes come across as a little too obvious
and a little too ‘amateur’ (whatever the hell that word means, and it
sure don’t mean to me what it means to you) because that was always part
of the appeal of The Poison Girls and, um, that former captivating rock
band front-person turned infamous widow turned Z-list film star whose
name escapes me right now, even if it does touch on the same damn chords
being used in the dives and bars of NYC in 1975, and
hell, I don’t know
what I’m trying to say, except

Have you any idea how unusual it is for me to enjoy an unsolicited CD
these days? And to want to hear it again? And then, as I type these
words, another one appears—the Zappa/Beefheart theatrics of the
free-moving RUDE MECHANICALS’ album Glass Eye (loads of drums played
like percussionist is doing the washing up, and off-mic oboe, and the
feeling that these folk surely have to be the same age as me because
they love Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Here And Now, Lindsay Cooper, Make Up
and Skill 7 Stamina 12 just like me, surely?)
and you know how unusual
THAT IS???

Very.