[thechat] MS Word formatting insanity

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Mon Jul 7 17:56:24 CDT 2008

> Just a thought: Did you disable "Link to Previous" button on
> "Header and
> Footer" toolbar.

Well, it's not the headers and footers that are doing this. The purpose
of separate sections is to allow for different headers and footers for
each, but the problem I'm having is with the text itself.

Title page is this:

The
Commonsense
Entrepreneur

That's a whole page. Centered (left to right and top to bottom)

I select the word 'Commonsense' (and NOT the paragraph mark after it,
although it don't make a bit o' diff) and press 'CTRL-i' to italicise
it-and this whole page, plus the next page, plus the TOC on the follwing
page, are all italicised. CTRL-z, and suddenly only the single word I
selected is italicised.

Or, one time, it made all the H1 lines in my TOC 48-point font to match
the title page. Which, you know, is separated from the TOC by two
section breaks and two page breaks and half a dozen hard returns.

I'm not using special styles. I don't have anything linked to anything.
I use Word all day every day without too much trouble. But I've never
run into this before. The only new thing I'm doing is using section
breaks, and that seems to be the source of the brouhaha.

I've been instructed by A Certain Person to knock it off and take the
day off before I drive her crazy. It's already too late for me.

joel