[thechat] Home recording?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Aug 11 10:31:37 CDT 2008

Martin Burns suggested:

>>Have a look at:
>>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=794809

Hi Martin,

Thanks!!  ;-)

I was spinning my wheels Friday afternoon trying to figure out if I needed to buy a lightsnake cable or something (and also trying to remember where the heck I stashed that old crappy mic I have) when I ended up finding a thread very similar to this one.  I'm going to try to run over to Radio Shack at lunch today and pick up an 1/4" to 1/8" cord.  (They mumbled something about there being two different 1/8" connectors?  Not sure which I need, but these cables are supposed to be pretty cheap, so I will just roll the dice and buy one.)

>>Or if you actually have a PodXT, with USB out (yes, you really,
>>really want one. They are magnificently ace), this might work for you:

Yes, I DO really really want one ... But given my issues with loft [1] I will, for the time being, make do with the old Korg Pandora unit I already have.  ;-)  A very fun, (albeit less 'professionally oriented'), toy!  I'm going to try the line out from the Korg into the soundcard and gently increase the gain hoping I can pick up a signal in Audacity.

>>But I really, really, really need to tell you that Mac+GarageBand+iMic
>>just bloody works. Not as well as s/iMic/PodXT/ but it works.

Oh Maaaaaan.  Yeah, I've been drooling over that GarageBand thing for quite some time now.  That _would_ be great fun.  (Maybe I'll knock around eBay later and take a sniff around.)  Hadn't seen the iMic thing before.  Neat!

>>Oh, and knocked together in about an hour, including working out how to play it:
>>http://colonsay.easyweb.co.uk/~martin/temp/ilrr_intro.m4a

See?  Now that's just fun.

The Re-re-inspired,
RonL.

[1]  LOFT ... It's not just my golf excuse anymore!  ;-)

<L>ack <O>f <F>---ing <T>alent