[thechat] Home recording?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Aug 11 14:17:29 CDT 2008

Kevin Freeman asked:

>>Is their a way for me to hook my guitar up to my computer
>>and just slam it up against the wall with the rock of the day?
>>Serious that would special.

Hi Kevin,

Absolutemundo!

As Mr. Burns noted elsewhere, you can simply run your PodXT out to an iMic plugged into your OSX machine.  Then start laying down tracks in the bundled (and reputedly VERY nice) GarageBand software.

Alternatively, (and I plan to test this myself this week), you should be able to take the output of a Pandora directly (using a newly purchased $5 quarter-inch to eighth-inch adaptor) into the sound card on your Ubuntu Studio laptop and configure AlsaMixer to allow Audacity to pull in the signal and record it.

The cheapest route on a wintel boxen would _appear_ to be downloading Audacity and then attempting the aforementioned 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor trick.  If that's a no-go ... then try using a Pod (or similar goodie) as a pre-amp to strengthen the signal.

Good luck,
RonL.