[thechat] selecting all the music in a directory with my iPod

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 14:03:48 CDT 2008

On 8 Sep 2008, at 18:52, Judah McAuley wrote:

> I think that the answer to your dillema is to create a playlist and
> drag the
> songs onto the playlist. There are some "smart" playlist features
> that I
> don't use/understand, but then again, I don't use itunes a great deal.

I use smart playlists extensively

They are essentially a select by any metadata field (or combination
thereof).

So I have a playlist made up of the following criteria:

* date: between 1980 and 1989 (inclusive)
* Rated more than 2*
* Excluding genres Christmas, World and Folk
* Excluding podcasts and Spoken Word
* Not played in the last week
* Restricted to 8 hours, by least often played.

I have another where the criteria are:
* Comment (free text field) includes "loud"
* Podcast is false
* Restricted to 30 tracks, by least recently played

etc

Cheers
Martin