[thechat] people who work weekends: a rant

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Nov 2 13:37:36 CST 2008

Ok, theoretically, I'll buy these, Elfur, Martin, Matt, et al.  And
there have been times when I've experienced and/or been part of such
efforts, and when it's made sense.

It's just that I've witnessed far more often, fearful/anxious and
borderline incompetent people pulling extra over-caffeinated hours to
dubious end. The fact that you are working extra hours simply does not
prove competence in your job, and may, in fact, indicate the opposite.

Another thing I notice, being my (apparently) slacker self, is that
people tend to get so caught in a certain way of doing things, they
aren't able or willing to stand back for a moment and ask if there could
be a more EFFICIENT way to accomplish specific goals.  Either their job
doesn't allow for that, or they don't think that way.  Also,
unsurprisingly, it is often the same people pulling in extra hours who
often fail to delegate.  Are they not thinking?  Or are they simply
mistrustful of everyone else's abilities?  And if so, why?  WHY?

But as someone (was it John?) pointed out in chat the other morning, the
issue (for me) may well be the type of work I've been in, and the
political games people play in these types of workplaces.

Maybe...

Erika