[thechat] {SPAM} Re: people who work weekends: a rant

Simon MacDonald simonmacdonald at uk2.net
Sun Nov 2 13:30:12 CST 2008

I would agree that sometimes weekend or all night working is necessary to
pull a project out of the cr at p  - when things have gone totally tits-up.

However, in my experience it generally boils down to bad estimating and/or
poor (non-existent) project management. Some (most?) is not being 'able to
say NO to changed requirements - or not willing to impart that- 'Yeah - if
you want that it's gonna cost X more time and Y more money' - PM says Yeah
we can do that - no probs' - and hasn't even gone and got an impact analysis
(just run it by the Lead Software person and get their reaction!).

A good PM has got a bit of flex in the plan so some level change can be
managed - but I guess you folks you been there before - so no more teaching
to suck eggs.

But - a big lesson for me was learning to being able to say NO (in the
nicest possible way)- it's not always the client management horror we think
it is when it's explained reasonably.

(Also: when someone pulls a late don't they always manage to send you an
email at 3:00am - just so you know ;o)

Cheers
Simon

Simon MacDonald