[thechat] people who work weekends: a rant

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Nov 3 19:49:43 CST 2008

Roger Austin wrote:
> Erika started it, then:
> Luther, Ron wrote:
>> Martin also noted:
>> Really?  Damn!  Must be nice to work with adults!  My experience is
 >
>   All the techniques for game playing can be effective tools in the
> corporate world. One problem is that it really is for nothing since
> a management change can put you right back where you started except
> with pissed off co-workers. You just hope you can outlive them.

CEO's may not generally be dumb but they may be negligent (what happened
to our banks again?) and there are a lot of dumb middle-managers.  What
was that thing Guy Kawaski quoted from Steve Jobs?  "A people hire A
people; B people hire C people."  (Kawasaki couldnt' figure out who
hires B people)<cite />How To Drive Your Competition Crazy
http://www.guykawasaki.com/books/crazy.shtml

This is why I have come to the point where I'd almost rather be a temp,
or a catalyst type of worker... come in, kick a project into gear and/or
over the fence, and leave.  BUH BYE.  I like being the new kid, I like
not getting too comfortable in cubetopia.  I can't get comfortable in
cubetopia.  I'll die of boredom.

I did work an awesome temp job a few months ago that I would have liked
to have stayed at.  Alas, it was not to be.  So maybe that kind of gig
will come around again, and I'll want to hang out for a few years... it
was a web agency so it was still project-based work. I like for things
to have beginnings, middles, and ends.

I really need to be mentally challenged, daily, and work relatively
independently to help goals get met, and feel like I'm really doing good
for an organization.  Ass in the seat busywork and politicking, don't do
it for me.

I want to be the fairy godmother of cubedom.  Spread around some magic,
turn everyone's squash into cadillacs, and when my work is done, *POOF*
I'm gone.

like a cooooool breeze.

Erika