[thechat] tricky Yankee speech (was RE: Knife-man found in BusinessWeek)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Nov 7 12:22:55 CST 2008

That Cal-eye-Granoli-eye-a feller, Joel D Canfield said:

>>I told people I was from Wisconsin and leaned on
>>the 'oot' and 'eh' as much as I could

No 'Uff Da'??
<shakes head sourfully />
Wellen - yewl joost hafta give baack yer walleye crawler harnesses den, eh?

>>I mean, [Texans] don't like anyone who's not from Texas

Well, now.  That's not _entirely_ true.  I mean, sure, there's that ordinance thing about hating on folks North of the Red River during UT games and stuff.  And yeah, we make fun of folks from Lousy-Anna and Miss-Sippy ALL the dang time!  And okay, there is that mutual irritability thing going on with them Coloradoians cuz'a *them* thinking they is real cowboys and all! <huff />  And y'all know, 'course, there's only one 'A&M' college in 'merica ... and it sure as heck ain't in Florida!

Mostly though, it's just that Texas pride thing kicking in. Now, you really need to _experience_ a good 45 minute dose of fury from some 40-ish Lady Texan with her dander all up on just why in tarnation Texas is so goldag self-sufficient and don't NEED nonna them other States (at ALL, Honey!!!) to really appreciate just how deeply engrained this is down heah.

On the plus side though, Texans will (after 'bout a million years or so) accept outsiders as 'onna their own'.  Which is a much better deal than you'll get in any onna them puny little New England States!!  ;-)

>>but they hold a special place [in their hearts and gun sights] for folks from Californy.

Yup.  That's true.  But it ain't the individuals from California.  Some-a them individuals *is* okay.  (Mebbe not that governator fella, but some-a the other ones anyways.)  The issue with the more generalized Californy (or New Damn York) is that the word "liberal" is about the dirtiest dirty word we have here in Tejas. [1] Just 'bout the only worse thing you could do down here is carry onna them ACLU cards! [2] I still haven't figured out *why* that is - but I've only been here 10 years.

Polyglotaaloquaciously Yours,
RonL.

[1] Excluding Austin, of course, cuz -technically- Austin isn't actually part of Texas.

[2] You'd be safer wearing a Redskins sweatshirt and an antler hat on a deer lease outside-a Dallas in October!