[thechat] user images and articles (was: Re: wired turns 15 )

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Thu Nov 27 16:15:36 CST 2008

Erika wrote:
> http://www.kk.org/2008/09/history-of-wired.php
>
> Erika

I think this one is worth a forum post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df_jo8q_RKs

I love how you can see the tension between advertising $$$ and pure
revolution, especially in the editing of this clip as they attempt to
spice up and punctuate each mention of advertising by flashing a bright
red or green afterward... (the clips were apparently used to market
wired to advertisers)

but what caught my attention is how Rosetto brings forward the
revolutionary (at the time) notion of putting the author's face on
articles.  This was a big part of the oldschool hotwired and webmonkey
(remember the 4- or 8-color gif portraits), and apparently, it's
something we copied (not at first, but in our current incarnation).  I'm
not sure whether (or how) the notion of authors' faces front-and-center
should be carried forward into the future evolt.org -- though I'd prefer
we have a more portrait-friendly proportion and/or size to work with.

And for the record, I'd prefer the author images (which in our case, are
controlled by the authors, not the editors) would be on article pages,
but not the w.e.o. front door.

Right now our portraits have to be a very small landscape-oriented
image.  At the very least, we should be able to have portrait-style,
though, or (preferably) a perfect square.  I don't mind a small size,
though it would be cool to have at least 100-150px square to play with.

Not aware of our system limitations, but I thought I'd throw that
thought out there.

Erika