[thechat] <grumble />

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 11:52:32 CST 2009

---- "Luther wrote:
> I imagine some folks have already noticed this cheery little bit o' news this morning:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/19/hp_pay_cuts/
>
> Not such good times.  My wife was laid off (made redundant) last week.  I have a bunch of relatives up in the Detroit area where things are pretty gloomy.  And I'm a bit worried about how the financial aid cutbacks will impact my son in grad school... (Retirement?  What's that?)

 It all depends on how much you trust Hurd. Is it truth or just company BS?
If the choice is a cut until things turn around and they don't cut jobs,
then I would prefer the cut in salary (I think.)

> So how's the world treating the rest of my extended evolt-family?

 My job seems stable. I have always been somewhat paranoid about keeping
my skills up to date. I have been networking and polishing up some
programming skills. I have heard that ColdFusion programmers are in
demand so I'm okay if the worst happens. I have enough other skills
(low level programming, management, DBA, sysadmin, etc.) to be attractive
to a company who wants someone to wear many hats.
 We are one of those government contractors so the US stimulus package
might actually light some fires around here. I definitely will help spend
it. A lot of other people are scared fecesless since they are up to their
necks in debt. I've always been a miser so it won't affect me all that
much.
 The last few weeks, I have seen more and more For Sale signs going
up in Raleigh. Not a lot, but the change seems rapid. I had wondered
if people had been laid off or if it is just normal turnover.

 I would be interested to know how our non-US friends are doing.
 Good luck to all, Roger