[thechat] <grumble />

Stéphane Deschamps lists at nota-bene.org
Fri Feb 20 07:41:52 CST 2009

<quote who='Martin Burns' when='20/02/2009 02:02'>
> On 19 Feb 2009, at 14:24, Luther, Ron wrote:
>
>> I imagine some folks have already noticed this cheery little bit o'
>> news this morning:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/19/hp_pay_cuts/
>

> Yeah, saw and thought of you. And wondered whether this was better
> than widespread redundancies...

The Lady worked at HP a few years ago, and last inght when I read the
news to her she said "oh, that's the HP way."

I still don't understand exactly what she means by that, but it seems
that they're not the same kind of company as another.

When you've got mortgages, children, etc. I guess it's better to still
have a job than be on the dole[1] for a period that promises to get
worse before it gets better.

[1] "To be on the dole": old expression learnt by non-english speakers
in old books when studying english lit. There must be a
less-than-one-century-old expression, I'm sure.

Anyway. In my company they're still recruiting (incredibly). It seems
that people are not going to give away their mobile phones, so we still
have a business going.

--
Stéphane Deschamps
perso: http://www.nota-bene.org/